ISPs suck in Australia!

I moved house recently and I've got a RANT! Internet Service Providers SUCK in Australia! OMG its 2016 and it took 10+ weeks to get my DSL connection! Had to use mobile data which meant no video and limited images and no BIG files.

I also spent countless hours over the phone which went really nowhere and finally when the internet got connected it wasn't working so the Tech came out. It was a mess - there was no dial tone for the line, so he fixed that, then there was no internet cause someone living here before forgot to disconnect the DSL line, so he had to reroute the line :x

Its almost sickening to which the state of the exchanges and copper lines are in Australia. And this NBN(National Broadband Network) which is going to use mixed technologies of fibre/copper/satellite is the biggest joke of it all. We should be using pure fibre but we have clowns in government.

I think that cuts it! I guess now I'm just happy to have a more permanent connection back :)

Re: ISPs suck in Australia!

Sounds just like the UK. Internet in Korea is pretty good - as you probably have heard. It's REALLY fast and has been for the 10 years I've been here. BUT, it's not all its cracked up to be. Sure, anything on Korean servers (Cloud servers or local servers) is really fast - But accessing anything outside of Korea? At times It's like being back in 2003 with early broadband, but with 300-500ms ping. Oh, and that thing called Internet neutrality doesn't exist here. Korean ISPs throttle traffic on a regular basis, and usually I find my internet to be at it's best between 5-9am in the morning. After that it gradually slows down to about 1/100th the speed by the time the evening comes around.

That and the Korean Internet is plagued with terrible web design that looks like something out of the early 2000's, bloatware and ActiveX plugins on every website and online banking/transaction sites are the worst on the planet.

SURE, Speedtest might tell me my internet is among the fastest in the world - But that's just another one of them 'bad science' statistics that plague the world, i.e Volkswagen's emission tests.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Before that post I honestly thought, Korea's got great internet speed there mustn't be any drawbacks. I guess that's narrow minded of me to think that way and I must be growing complacent with accepting the information I get at face value :-p So I was quite surprised to know that a location with one of the fastest internet speeds still experience similar issues that I do.

I've attached my Speedtest result - I would like way better upload speeds but apparently ADSL isn't the technology to use for that :(

And I have looked up VDSL/VDSL2+, and I wonder why we haven't used that technology widespread here in Australia. It also just occurred to me that if Australia stuck with the original FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) we would probably be no 1 on that fastest internet speeds list :shock:

Not sure what your paying per month but my connection sets me back roughly AU$70 for ADSL2+, which is about £40 or ₩59,000
Attachments
5518643880.png
5518643880.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 23365 times

Well I might as well include an obligatory Speedtest image for showing off purposes:
Which is great, but when uploading to Google servers (or Youtube) I actually barely scrape by with about 1mbps - And I have to use Internet Exploder to do it. But at least uploads actually finish, which is more than I can say for downloads. When connected to various other servers, often the download/upload will start at FULL speed then gradually reduce to about 1% of the throughput before eventually failing. This happens with ALL connection types; HTTP, FTP, SMTP etc. Even using a VPN doesn't always help.

Usually though, if it's a Cloud server which has data stored in Korea (such as Microsoft), I can download at full speed. Torrenting is also a breeze in Korea, no ISP limitations of any kind.

Edit: Oh, my Internet is included in the rent so I don't pay for it. That's probably one of the reasons it has so many issues.
But I have heard many complaints from technically minded folks like myself who have had similar issues with Korean ISPs.
You can get 1Gbps connections here though for $50/month.

But yeah, Aussie broadband has always been bad for as long as I can remember - Physical location and land mass doesn't help, really.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Your upload is faster than your download... :shock: wtf!?
Meh, you guys think you have it bad? Try China. My ISP limited me to 240 hours of internet a month and refused to give me more even if I paid them more.
Yes I do, I have it bad! :razz: Can't you just get 2 connections?
That's some arbitrary number alright.
Actually no it isn't... its based on the average of 30days/month - 720hrs/3; sleep8-work8-home8 or whatever averages goes behind that

Communism doesn't account for most of what you listed. Surely there are internet cafes, gaming cafes, mobile internet that's not included in the 240 hours but only someone in China can confirm? Students have access to internet through University, College and School. As for the rest it's subject to interpretation and from what I understand about communist rules, most of what you listed sounds more western like..

I guess we'll have to wait until we hear from Kara. But your view might be a little outdated. I've met countless people from China here, and I'm not talking about people that have grown up outside of China. I'm pretty sure many of those things I mentioned are indeed... a thing. :P
The Expanse. Watch it!

I was speaking about communism in general terms. I have heard about gamers and addicts, as for working from home I got no idea on that, in fact I have little knowledge of this topic about China. I did read an article with comments recently and I think I took the 240hrs too literally. Internet plans and access varies across China and I'm not sure why Kara's connection is limited to that set of hours.