Fiction: The discovery

Personal diary of Khor-tu-khet, stranded on Altair IV.

The Shivans have attacked and destroyed our outpost. With only very little cover available - we were a civilian research station after all - we started evacuating as soon as they jumped in. But it was no use. We, and Rho wing covering us, were the only ones that could make it out. The others either fell to the Shivans, or died when the station's reactor exploded.

We headed for Altair IV, an uncharted planet. Although our escape pods are not meant for atmospheric flight, they should - in theory - be able to withstand a forced landing. We wanted to get out of space as soon as possible, so the Shivans wouldn't follow us.

To us, it has been painfully proven that theory is just that, theory. During the descent, our pod became so hot that water would evaporate inside it, and it shook so violently that we didn't know when it had touched the ground. None of us came out unbruised, but luckily we were still alive.

While exploring the area and looking for the fighters - they had landed at a safe distance away from us - we found a cave. It looked like a good place for shelter. It turned out to be an incredible discovery.

Of course we knew that there had been species before our own, but we had never found any traces of them. This discovery was more than we could ever have dreamt of... It seemed as if they had come back to life.
Ancient-Shivan War | Hard-Light forums | FreeSpaceMods.net

Now now, let's not forget I got my own campaign on my belt. Still, minor stuff like this fiction or tech descriptions, maybe. Heck, I even have some prototype weapons I made for Ancients in a tech demo.

Is this diary from the point of view of an Ancient??
If so I don't think you should call them Shivans. The Ancient monologues only ever used "destroyers". Though not sure how you'd do that in game. Obviously "a new Destroyer Destroyer has just jumped in" is kind of lameass.
Last edited by Akalabeth Angel on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Especially as the name 'Shivan' comes from human religion.

EDIT; I'd suggest just 'Enemy'. Particularly as it implies a singular warlike nature to the ancients, which IMO meshes very well with their apparent nature.

The point of view here is obviously a Vasudan. Look at the wording. No way was it an Ancient.
Oh. "Species before our own." Right.

I just got confused as I thought this is "Ancient-Shivan War" mod.
I'm not sure what method of story telling it's going to employ.