How do you deal with the "pride" factor? The Ancients must have tried to boost their limits in shipbuilding capabilities to reach very high levels...that involves creating much larger ships.
Hence the Pyrgos and the Androgeos :P
Do they work in real combat though?

Ok, so...according to your debatable logic a species who colonized solar systems for thousands of years wasn't capable of building a warship bigger than the Colossus?

Terrans and Vasudans came out with the Colossus and the Ancients' biggest warship will be a Juggernaut, the Androgeos? It makes no sense, guys. The "pride" factor is also important...and is something the GTVA didn't really have.

What will the Ancient fleet be like, then? Hundreds of destroyers, who knows how many superdestroyers and only a single Juggernaut? What the frak?!?
Non ti curar di loro, ma guarda e passa!

President and Founder of the Official Karajorma Fan Club
(the memberlist has been lost for unknown reasons)

Recall that, according to Volition, the Ancients were only 'a few decades' ahead of the FS1-era Terrans and Vasudans at the time of their destruction (except in the area of subspace technology).

A few decades after FS1 (namely FS2), the GTVA only had one juggernaut, and no massive space installation thirty km long.
Believes in 3DPD. Loli is not a crime. A cat is fine too.
War of the Squids | Not Tom Clancy's | Ice Cream | Bosch Beer

"A few decades ahead" could still mean Inferno Era ships and technology.

Also, without considering most of its weapon systems, the Colossus nearly is a Great War era ship.

And you forget the basic difference: unlike Terrans and Vasudans, the Ancients have been colonizing space for thousands of years. The TV Alliance came out with the Colossus after a catastrophical conflict, the Great War(Vasuda Prime's surface leveled, no contact with Sol) so I don't understand why the Ancients would be that limited.

I'm afraid you guys are missing the basics here. If you don't want to have BoE missions then avoid them, you have no reason for limiting the main concepts only because of that. In FS2, for example, we only see a small part of the Colossus' engagements.

Mobius, I really don't think this discussion is getting us anywhere. How about some proper questions? I'll go.

Question:
What is the Ancient naming convention for ships?

Alpha, Beta, Gamma...?

Are you serious? It'd make much more sense to use proper names. Using the Greek alphabet would simply turn ASW into a campaign like any other, with the difference that the player flies Ancient spacecraft.